Thursday, December 14, 2006

Shalom Bayit Speech

It's a beautiful day in DC, after the cold start, we end with beautiful sunny skies and nice spring-like temperatures.

Hmm, this is kind of like me at times, I wake up and feel so grouchy and grumpy. However as the day rolls on, I break out in a smile, and am grooving along!

Now there are times when we are feeling either sad, vulnerable, scared, or just plain tired. We do our thing, and for some odd reason, we cause one of our friends or loved ones to criticize us.

Now we all know that criticism does not work. For people who are reading Dale Carnegie, and keeping an intense Torah learning, those guys especially understand the futility and destructive nature of criticism. Even scoundrels like Al Capone considered themselves "public benefactors who are not appreciated for what they are".

Therefore, the next time somebody says SOMETHING to you that makes you want to retalliate, consider saying this to them instead:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I’m sorry. I have to say that I am feeling very upset.

I just cannot talk to you right now, not because I dislike you, rather I am not thinking properly and the issue can degenerate into a competition where the most important thing for me is victory at all costs! Therefore, any further points on your part, no matter how beneficial they are, will just make me more aggressive and stubborn!

I need to go away and calm down. When I am myself again, I will be more than happy to talk with you, and discuss the issue together!

Thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to copy and paste this text. If you wish to modify it, that would be good too! Carry a copy around with you, and when the tomato flies, hand the 'tomato-thrower' this nice note. You'll be happy you did!

I bless you all with tons of Shalom Bayit!

No comments: